Monday, September 10, 2012

...Winter is Coming: Bath Week 3


So the weather is predicted to be slightly less gorgeous than it has been the past week here in Bath. In the weather, I enjoyed a class trip to Dyrham Park with my Women, Society, and Culture in the 18th Century course. It was such a beautiful day with beautiful sites and I was reminded of how awesome nature is. 
Dyrham Park
Being enraptured by the universe, nbd.
Living directly outside of a city is a bit different from my usual residence at One Winooski Park - where I could just look out my window and see the glorious foliage and mountains across the street. It's going to be my goal to take a walk in the countryside more frequently than I expected. 
Also - my program, Advanced Studies in England (ASE), is sponsoring a hike trip to Wales as well as a trip to the Cotswolds. Not sure about hiking, but hey, this trip is all about getting outside my comfort zone and experiencing things that I would have never dreamed of doing. See diagram A.
Diagram A

Bath is certainly presenting a challenge in ways I would have never imagined - some good, some frustrating, but definitely capable to be handled. I am looking forward to getting more involved in the community as long as it fits into my studies - remember, going to a program called ADVANCED STUDIES in England means that you'll be studying. A LOT. The amount of reading I have is a little unnerving but understandable considering I only have class once a week. I just have to plan to make ample time for studying, food shopping, house chores, and socializing. 


In relation, just a tidbit of awesomeness this week:
On Monday, on top of the Bath Abbey tour, my accompanying 'older' tour guide named Barry commented on the weather saying: "We didn't have much of a summer, but as you can tell...winter is coming." For those of you who don't know this phrase, I suggest you read George Martin's Game of Thrones and then watch the HBO series. And don't worry, I'll do a post on my adventures in Bath Abbey - to be continued!

Hopefully later this week I'll post again about what else is new in my nomadic travels - especially since we'll be traveling as a program to University College Oxford on Saturday for a week of courses there! EXCITING! 

Feel free to comment on places I should travel to, ask me questions about life in Bath, or anything else! 
As always, sending my love stateside, 
Katelyn :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment