Saturday, September 22, 2012

Being a UNIV Student for a Week: Part 2



I'm picking up where Part One left off on Monday - first day of classes in Oxford and a tour of the Library. The UNIV library is actually quite small but full of character. I even got to take out a few books for class - I wish I could've taken out books for pleasure reading. I made many a trip there for reading purposes.

So many books!

Being studious in UNIV.

My friend Abby the thinker.
Later on we went to a talk by tutor Dr. Leslie Mitchell who is teaching Modern British Political History called "Bloody Oxford". A bit similar to the talk we had on Saturday, but very entertaining. He made it sound like story-telling and I wish I was in one of his classes! I love when a professor makes it fun to learn so it doesn't actually seem like you're learning. 


Tuesday was shopping, class, and pub crawl! We made it to four pubs: The Lamb and Flag, White Horse, The King's Arms, and The Turf Tavern. The Lamb and Flag was my favorite ambiance wise because it looked like a classy den set-up with wood accents. I also attempted a local ale or beer at each location - I wanted to make it unique!



 




A fun night was had by all!





On Wednesday I presented for my Women, Society, and Culture of the 18th century on writers' opinions on women's education. Unfortunately right after my presentation, I became sick and was confined to my bed for the rest of the day. This meant I had to miss the tour of Christ Church where the grand staircase that was in Harry Potter! Sad face. I did get a picture of the courtyard on Sunday going to the Anglican service though!

Does this courtyard look familiar?
This is only part two of the adventure! Be sure to check back for sequels :)
Katelyn

No comments:

Post a Comment