Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day: Time for Remembering

The past few Memorial Days I have spent walking in a Memorial Day Parade with the Edson Division of the Naval Sea Cadet Corps based out of New Haven, CT. I had volunteered there since my junior year of high school where I have encountered many different branches of the military. From the Seals, Marines, Air Force, Coast Guard, and Navy, I have been privileged to meet many of those who serve our nation. They love what they do and wouldn't want to do anything else. My experience with the military has been a roller coaster, regardless I support them in what they stand for and protect.

Out of these many, I am lucky to call some of them my friends. Much like the families and friends of those who currently serve and those who have lost someone while deployed, I will worry should they be called upon to serve. Each Memorial Day means something different to all of these people. Perhaps remembering family members, friends, co-workers, who have given their lives for their country or celebrating the successful return of a parent, spouse, or friend.

I took this candid shot on a trip with the division to Washington, D.C. in 2009 for the 4th of July holiday. We made the visit to Arlington National Cemetery where we saw the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and visited the graves of the Kennedys. This is one of my favorite pictures I have ever taken. It combines what we celebrate and how remember those who serve and have served.



"When you go home, tell them of us and say, for their tomorrow, we gave our today." The Kohima Epitaph



Thank you.


No comments:

Post a Comment